Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fauna or Branding?














Jellyfish are among the most intriguing creatures in the sea. They are oddly beautiful. Once when I was swimming in the ocean at Carpenteria Beach ("world's safest beach"), I picked up out of the water what I thought was a baseball hat. It was not. I still remember the squishy feel. Another time when swimming in the ocean at Byron Bay Australia, my Australian friend thought she saw box jellyfish coming in, and dragged me out of the water very quickly. Scary. There were jellyfish in the ocean off Phuket, Thailand that floated on the surface of the water and had an appendage that served as a sail. They were able to travel a fair distance, quickly. They were small, but they stung a lot. For a milestone birthday, my mom and dad gave me a piece of blown glass with a jellyfish inside. Not an actual one. I have no idea how the artist did it.

At first glance, this jellyfish photo appears to be merely a nature postcard. However, a quick read of the back shows that it is actually an advertising postcard from Farallon, a fancy seafood restaurant in San Francisco. The entire restaurant has an underwater feel, from lighting fixtures to mosaics on the wall.

It's been a while since I've been there, but I remember it looked pretty cool inside. I don't remember thinking the food was worth the hype. Branding or nature postcard? You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment