Friday, November 13, 2009

The Pacific Coast Highway, Carmel to Hearst Castle Segment

If you've ever driven up or down the Pacific Coast Highway (known as PCH, especially from Newport Beach, south) from Carmel to Hearst Castle, you know how narrow and winding and cliff abutting this highway is. The experience and the view are worth every nerve wracking, brake foot tiring minute. Just avoid driving it, if at all possible, during the Winnebago season. January is pretty good because, not only is it not crowded, you can often see the spouts of migrating whales from the road.


What you might not think up about is, how in the heck did they build it? Here's picture of that construction, sent to me by my sister after she and her family and a student visitor from France had just completed this drive.

Check out Road Trip USA for a description of the entire length of Highway 1. I've driven every inch of this Highway, from Portland to San Diego, and into Mexico, with just a short stretch from Portland to Olympia remaining for me to experience.

P.S. Happy Postcard Friendship Friday

6 comments:

  1. What a job! That man's clothing blends in so well with the color of the earth. Heaven help the rescue team if he ever slipped over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great postcard. I used to live in Carmel and I had a colleague who lived in Big Sur and worked in Monterey. She made that drive every day. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a job! A wonderful piece of history captured there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember going on it so many times I hardly thought about it...in the '80's Mom took me up the coast to Carmel. Remember? We stayed with you one night. Maybe you even financed the trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! A job I wouldn't like to have had! Great card! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! When I was a little girl (a little later on in history) I remember Dad driving on the Pacific Coast Highway--I actually remember some roads similar to this.

    Happy Thanksgiving week--and Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete