Thursday, November 5, 2009

Map of Istanbul, Turkey


Two of my peach picking partners are (or were) in Turkey for a while. Come to think of it, two others were in Paris. Hey. I want to pack my bags and use my passport.
I love this postcard of the map of Istanbul. I suppose if you've been there, the different neighborhoods hold different meanings - some are good for shopping, some are historic, some are the big touristy hotel areas, some are dark and mysterious and potentially dangerous for tourists. I haven't a clue about any of them.
Mostly it's the bosphorous I notice. Not exactly sure why, but I have always been fascinated by this narrow strip of blue. Perhaps it's because of the thin connection between Europe and Asia, the narrowness of the strait from the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara and ultimately to the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas. Whichever. Bucket list alert!

2 comments:

  1. My husband spent part of his childhood in Istanbul and he and I have visited as well.
    It is truly a powerfully fascinating city. If you like to read then you should take a look at Orhan Pamuk's book My Name is Red which is set in istanbul at the time of the Ottoman Empire.
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn (and Mary): I agree that My Name Is Red is worth a look. But for Pamuk's singular musings on his home city, I'd recommend his book of essays: Istanbul: Memories and the City.

    ReplyDelete