Friday, October 23, 2009

My Cousin, the Artist

I am so proud of my cousin, Shelby. Her art was selected for the promotional postcard for an art festival featuring multiple artists. But she didn't send me this postcard, her sister-in-law did.

My cousin lived with us for a while when she was a teenager. She played the guitar, ironed her hair, and got in trouble for having a big teenage party at my parent's house when my parents were out of town. I had always wanted an older sister, and she was that for me then.

She took me to my first concert when I was probably 12 years old - The Midnighters, The Turtles, and the headliners, Herman's Hermits. The concert was held in the Rose Bowl and while the place wasn't full by any means at all, I will never ever forget how it felt to be in the crazy energy of a crowd for the first time - confused, excited, energized - WOW. My cousin rushed the stage, and claimed to have touched Peter Noonan's foot. She was never going to wash her hand again.

She works in a variety of media, but says that water color is her favorite. She started selling work in a very small way on ebay, but seems to be graduating to larger venues. You can find more of her work here:

http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?ArtID=14593&SGID=0&Display=Med&Page=1#

and here: http://onedaycloserto.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's my art...Nancy said a woman loved the postcard so much she cut it up to make rugs for her doll house...

    ReplyDelete