Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hanoi, Vietnam















[Oops. Thought I had posted this yesterday, but I hadn't. In any case.....]
It's been over 30 years, but I still can't hear the words "Hanoi" without it bringing up a whole host of memories and feelings around the Vietnam War, and the images and the news and the songs and the discussions of that time.

It's supposed to be fantastic, and I'd like to go there someday. My friend, Sudha, who sent the postcard writes, "It reminds me of Calcutta 40 years ago." She was on her way back to San Francisco from India.

A note on Sudha. She is a world renowned designer who, through her work with local artisans and craftsmen, has helped revive age old crafts that were near extinction. She was engaged in fair trade practices before they were even called that.

If you live in the Bay Area, she will be hosting her 7th annual "Sudha Sale" the first two weekends in November in the Corte Madera Shopping Center, benefitting Bread & Roses and The Redwoods in Marin County. I've sent many friends to this sale in the past who have always been thrilled with the merchandise, the prices, and the fact that all proceeds go to two worthy organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment