Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Burkina Faso, Once Known as Upper Volta
















One of my friends at graduate school was Mr. Adama Kabore, from Burkina Faso. He was one of the nicest people I ever met, tall and thin, with an incredible smile. A pilot for Upper Volta Airlines (the country was still known as Upper Volta at the time), he was studying at Thunderbird for his promotion into management. He visited us, once, in San Francisco, but somehow we've lost touch. I regret this, as he was a very nice man, and someday I would have liked to have visited him and his family in Burkina Faso. I think I should try a little harder to try and find him again.

I've been fascinated by Burkina Faso since I met Adama. It has one of the best capital names of any country in the world -Ouagadougou - a name to say over and over and just let roll around in your mouth. It's also among the poorest countries in Africa, if not the world.

It's hard to even find much information about the Domes of Banfora in the postcard - mostly a few pictures, some reviews of local hotels, and descriptions of other places to visit near there. I imagine if you were visiting this place, it would feel like you were on another planet.

Here is some more information about Burkina Faso, if you're interesed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burkina_Faso

No comments:

Post a Comment