Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Vancouver, Canada - Olympic Memorabilia
























I love to play Scrabble, but no one in my house will play with me, which means I don't get to do so as often as I'd like.  That changed when I started playing Scrabble on Facebook. There are two players with whom I've always got a game going, one in Vancouver, Canada and one in Louisiana.  Both are pretty good, and we're evenly matched.  Sometimes we play a word every couple of days, sometimes a word a day, sometimes a couple of words a day. 

[Side bar:  If you like Scrabble and have never read the book Word Freak, I highly recommend you check it out.  It is about competitive Scrabble and the year in the life of a journalist as he penetrated this wacky world.  The scores of professional players are far beyond anything I've ever even approached.  My highest score ever was 469; my biggest word score 88.  Professional players regularly score in the 700s and above.]

Oops, I digress.  Back to postcards.

When the Winter Olympics were on, I asked my Vancouver Scrabble buddy to send me an Olympic postcard.  And she did!  Not one, but four.  (Thanks, Kathie!)  She's pretty funny and I think if we ever have a chance to meet in the off-line world, we would spend a lot of time laughing.  Each of the cards has a funny message on it, but my favorite is that she signs herself as "the polite and friendly Canuck" on each one, knowing full well that this is how the world press kept referring to Canadians during the Olympic Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment