Friday, September 3, 2010

Camel Burgers



My friend's house in the Medina in Fez, Morocco is just off Tala'a Kbira, along which are primarily food stalls and street vendors.   And while this photo isn't a postcard it would probably generate a lot of sales if it were, as this place is among the most photographed stalls in the Medina.  Most of the postcards of businesses in the Medina feature the tanneries - this one would be different!

As you might or might not imagine, this stall sells camel meat.  The camel head is its primary marketing icon.  Besides the raw meat, one of the offerings appeared to be like a sausage, although very large.  While a local told me it was a stuffed camel pancreas, I think it was more likely a stuffed camel spleen, and is one of the very few meat dishes sold in the market that is already cooked, and "ready to eat".   I did not try any.

I did try a camel burger at Cafe Clock.   (See previous post on Cafe Clock here.)  Believe it or not, a camel burger is surprisingly delicious. This audio slide show by The Guardian gives a pretty good overview of the cafe and the burger. 

P.S.  It's Postcard Friendship Friday.  You know what to do.

9 comments:

  1. Original post! What did the camel burger taste like? In Sydney, I was at a party where they served pizza's with crocodile and kangaroo meat. A strange idea, but it did taste well. Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I know a camel or two and don't think I'd like camel meat. Guess it's all what you get used to! Great post. Happy PFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a meaty postcard...
    I agree that some things may not be worth trying...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW you are braver than me... I don't think I could eat camel... after seeing it in the market like that with the head hanging.

    TFS... Happy PFF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's so not appetizing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have gone all week without seeing that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeew. But you get points for uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! But fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I couldn't eat anything off that stall, though I'm prepared to try almost anything in the right place. I've had ostrich which was pleasant, but not remarkable.

    ReplyDelete