Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Has Sprung


Spring is always my favorite season.  It reminds me of poppies in bloom, asparagus, hard boiled eggs, my birthday, daylight savings time, and Palm Springs.  And daffodils. 

"Daffodils" (1804)

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).
 
This painting of daffodils is by Nicoline Heemskerk, of the Netherlands.  More of her work can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. Memories of Daffodils makes me quiver. I tried to memorize it for English class in the 8th grade and forgot every line as I stood in front of the class -- one of those embarrassing and character building moments in life.

    I would venture to guess that your spring is fabulous... lucky souls. Ours is usually iffy.

    Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. had over a month off. guess I've got to get back at it too. At least once, huh?
    ~Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've negleted your postcards for awhile. Love this spring one to be my first. I'm all caught up now. How about having your b-day in Southern Calif.?

    ReplyDelete