Monday, July 13, 2009

San Francisco Institutions, No Longer In Existence


Nothing lasts forever. I suppose Carol Doda is still alive, but she's no longer performing. And Ciao restaurant has long been out of business. However, both live on in the form of postcard advertising.

Ciao restaurant was on Jackson, in San Francisco. It was an advertising and media lunch spot, and they had really good Italian ices served in the rinds of the fruits they were made of.

Carol Doda was one of the first topless dancers in San Francisco, I think. I went to her show once, when I was in college. My college roommate's dad had taken us to dinner, and we were joking around about going to see her show. He pulled a fast one on us and took us there! We tried to act cool, but I do admit to feeling a bit uncomfortable. As I recall, we saw the whole thing, complete with piano descending from the ceiling.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 23, 2009

    Carol owns (at least 10 years ago she did) a lingerie store at 1850 Union St.

    I once was walking to get my mail (my old PO box was next door) and asked her "Are you Carol Doda" and she replied "who want's to know?".

    she always wore stretch pants...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these...Ciao is a cool graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 23, 2009

    I miss Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao had amazing garlic bread!

    ReplyDelete