Monday, November 7, 2011

Square Postcards with Square Centers Missing

Regular readers know that my friends are a great source of postcards for me.  Recently, my friend, Marcia, went to New York City and brought back some postcards, the likes of which I'd never seen before.  All our perfectly square, with a square hole in the center of each:

Okay, this one makes sense - Times SQUARE.

Maybe this one is a comment on the missing World Trade Center Towers.


I can't for the life of me figure out any meaning behind the seahorse with a missing square.


I'm assuming this last one has to do with a square peg in a round hole?



.Any thoughts? 

P.S.  I'm not positive the postal service will actually handle these.  I think I'll mail one to myself and find out.  Stay tuned...

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything like these before either. I Googled and found that there is a band called Hello Seahorse and one of their songs was Squarehead. Sorry. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, perhaps that is what the square in the seahorse is about. Anybody else have any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last picture isn't a doughnut? Oh wait...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris VosburgJanuary 25, 2012

    Scrapbooking enthusiasts-- and no one else-- will recognize the utility of the card with a hole punched in it. The idea, I think, was to use the punched card as a sort of matte, placing it over another smaller photograph (usually of the tourist themself), framing it, as it were, on the scrapbook page. Instead of a photo, perhaps a small souvenir of the site depicted on the matte could be inserted behind the punched-out square.

    Weird, I know, but [laughing] we're talking scrapbooking here, a culture unto itself, where Martha Stewart still roams the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paper donuts, these are.

    Now, where are the holes?

    Anyway, about Seahorse Squarehead, I think if someone tries to do anything with this underwater character, Nickelodeon Cartoons might sue them.

    ReplyDelete