Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bears, Part 1


I have a bear phobia.  They featured prominently in my nightmares as a child so when our family packed into the Sierras, camping on the shores of Waugh Lake, I lay awake in my pup tent for what felt like all night every night listening for bears, convinced I would be a midnight snack for one of them.

But the universe has a way of making us face our fears, or at least taunting us with our fears, in a variety of ways.

This summer it seemed I received a number of bear themed postcards.  This one is from the Kodiak National Wildlife Refugee, established in 1941 to protect the habitat of the Kodiak brown bear.  This bear is the world's largest land carnivore. NOT on my bucket list:  seeing  a Kodiak bear in the wild.

P.S.  Thanks to Sandy & Duke for sending me all the postcards from their Alaskan adventure!

P.P.S.  Previous bear postcards:  here (the bear in the strawberry tree statue/sculpture in Madrid) and here (grizzly bears).

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a bear in the wild and I really like Kodiaks. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Kodiak moment for sure.

    ReplyDelete