Friday, February 4, 2011

Mothball Sqaudrons















If hundreds of ships no longer in use but still floating in the Bay is called a "mothball fleet", does that make a similar number of decommissioned planes a "mothball squadron"?  Just curious.

The Davis-Monthan Air Force base just south of Tucson was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1994.  From the Wiki:

The base was selected as a storage site for hundreds of decommissioned aircraft....... Tucson's dry climate and alkali soil made it an ideal location for aircraft storage and preservation, a mission that has continued to this day........ 

 With a variety of items on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force, including an inert Titan II missile ....... the sole remaining example of a Titan II missile site in existence.

I drove by this base once, on the way to a fancy spa in Tucson.  It's quite a surprise to be tootling along, and all of a sudden pass row after row after row of old planes.  They seem to go on forever.

On another note, in response to the question posed by the Mystery Sender in the postcard above, the answer is "I don't know."  After a couple of failed attempts to get back into a more regular groove of (almost) daily posts, I am determined to do a better job of keeping up the momentum this time.  Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. "mothball squadron"...that made me chuckle! the image is really rather menacing in a way...disconcerting somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems so long ago already. Most of the cards I remember, but this one...I remember writing it but had forgotten the picture side. Well, good luck to you.
    ~Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the title of your post, I thought it was about mothballs or a squadron of moths!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, looking at vintage postcard like this one made me think of how was it back in the days.They somehow show us the history of our country and somehow make you feel that its a big part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://rias-postcard-and-stamps.blogspot.com/
    What an awesome postcard. I can send you one of Minot afb to if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear friend!
    Hello from Pakistan!
    I hope that you are fine and happy.

    You have nice postcards and great writing too.

    I am a collector from Pakistan. I collect stamps, FDCs, postcards, phonecards, coins and bank notes.

    At present I am working on a UNESCO Postcards Project to collect postcards of all UNESCO World Heritage Sites from around the globe. Can you help me in this regard?? Or anyone else????

    You can see my hobby blogs at: My Stamps/ Covers Collection and My Cool Postcards

    I would also love to exchange blog links if possible. You can add mine and leave me a comment on my blog.
    Best Regards
    Cheema

    ReplyDelete